Sunday, April 20, 2008

What's in a Name??

I've had some questions about the name of the blog. "The wisdom of the little toe" is actually a phrase my yoga teacher used once that I filed away because my poor little toes have suffered serious mishaps over the years:

At probably age 10 or 11, I froze my left little toe. I was doing my brother's paper route during the winter but this was before I had one of my own so I walked it instead of biking because it freaked me out to bike in the snow. Unfortunately, I also had really crappy boots so when I finally got back my feet were frozen but my one little toe was worse off than the others for some reason & it swelled up real big. Ever since, if my feet get too cold my left baby toe swells up & itches (I've been told that's a sign of nerve damage).

At age 22, I fractured my right little toe. It was the first of three shows of my very last dance concert at Mac and during the last piece I didn't kick quite high enough during a fight scene and nailed my partner in the head. I was initially much more worried about her but as the dance continued, I felt my toe swelling up and by the time I stumbled off stage it was huge!! I went to urgent care the next morning and it was indeed fractured. The doctor sure gave me a look when I asked if I'd be injuring it further if I danced on it, but he said I wouldn't. I finished up the last two shows (adrenaline is an amazing thing!!) and then hobbled around for several weeks afterward.

It's surprising how important such small appendages can be, so the idea behind the name refers to the importance of small things.

1 comment:

Laura said...

aw your poor little toe!! sometimes my left ear itches and it's because of nerve damage too!! we're like the SAME PERSON!!!!!!