Thursday, April 17, 2008

Blast from the Past

I've been spending a whole lot of time cleaning out my childhood room as I've been meaning to do it for some years now. Since I was raised as a pack rat I still have a lot of random assignments from my K12 education including such things as an old Physics paper entitled "Isn't it time for a real appliance? Isn't it time for a toaster?" The last page included a series of Toast Haikus that I got online, and they're still there, but this was my favorite:

Thirty-six croutons
Sewn together with great care
Spicy slice of toast

Probably the most interesting thing I've found is my prediction of how my life would play out from age 13, verbatim:

  • Graduate at the top, or close to it, of my class
  • Start college somewhere out east
  • Study archaeology and literature
  • Start work as an archaelogist
  • Sometime go to Britain and study Stonehenge, the wheat circles. To Yucatan Peninsula to see the Mayan temples. Go storm chasing with Rachel. Go skydiving with Rachel, Nichole, Roseanne, and Andrea
  • Study aliens
  • Somewhere try to become an archaelogical professor
  • Live in Britain for 2-3 years
  • In my retirement study art and literature, write a book or novel
  • Travel the world while I'm retired
Soooooo..... yeah. I haven't done any of that really, except graduating towards the top of my high school class & I went to Britain but didn't get to see Stonehenge because of Mad Cow. Of course I haven't yet retired so I guess I might still study art and literature (though I doubt it) and travel the world (I hope so!). At 13 I apparently didn't have much interest in marriage or children or anything else between getting a job and then retiring.

2 comments:

Laura said...

HAHAHA i LOVE that one of your goals was to study aliens - that is hilaaarious!!! you should so do that still!

Anonymous said...

I remember that paper. Pure genius. How's MN?