Friday, April 25, 2008

My Application Timeline

I meant to post this a while ago, but with my program switch I just kinda forgot about it. When I was going through the motions of applying to the Peace Corps, I searched everywhere for timelines of people who had been accepted to see how long each stage took. This post is mostly for prospective Peace Corps Volunteers who are looking for the same information.

It is recommended that you apply to the Peace Corps 9 months to a year before you want to go, largely due to the amount of time it can take to get medical clearance. Here's my timeline:

July 2007: Started application
Aug 30: Submitted application
Sept 10 : Interview
Sept 19: Nomination; leaving May 2008
Oct 29: Mailed Medical Packet
Nov 5: Dental Clearance Received
Feb 5, 2008: Medical Clearance Received
Mar 3: Invitation to Bolivia Received
Mar 13: Bolivia training group officially canceled
Mar 17: Invitation to Nicaragua received
May 5: Departure for Nicaragua (same date as I would have left for Bolivia)

Basically, it took a month to do my application and about 10 days to do the interview and then 10 more days to get my nomination. It took me about a month to complete my medical packet and about a day to get dental clearance. It took 3 months to get my medical clearance and then another month to get my invitation, which left me with about 2 months until departure.

It is said that the process is meant to weed out people who aren't really serious, and I definitely believe that now that it's over. There were times when I thought about just doing something else instead of writing all these essays and asking for recommendations, then seeing doctors and more doctors and then going back after the PC wanted more information. I think I read somewhere that something like 17% of applicants are actually accepted.

1 comment:

Laura said...

You got your nomination in September?! That is so long ago! I feel like it wasn't that long ago. Time flies when you're having fun SISTA!!!!!!