Friday, February 19, 2010

¡Feliz Cumpleaños!

Monday I turned 26, so I spent the weekend in Granada with a bunch of volunteers taking advantage of the tasty food and night life that the city has to offer. We made a no bake cheesecake mix my friend Laura sent me a while back and we each ate a slice veeeeeery slooooooowly to savor the amazingness. My friend Liz’s birthday is this week as well so they made us hold candles and sang to us:



I decided to make Saturday my birthday since Monday is clearly not a good day for a birthday. My friend Dianne bought me an amazing birthday present: my very first professional massage! So I did that, ate a giant hamburger, and we made guacamole and fried tortilla chips:

The best guac ever:


As if that wasn’t enough, we made the whole package of Chips Ahoy my friend Melanie sent me disappear in under a minute. Needless to say, we were happy campers. That night we got all dressed up and hit the town. Since some of us don’t get to go out very often, we went all out and my friends did my hair and makeup:

Dianne, my makeup artist:


Liz straightened my hair and I barely recognized myself:


The whole group:


We sang some karaoke and then went to a Chinese New Year/Valentine’s Day dance party at some hotel and, as we like to say here, danced our faces off.

Monday itself was very tranquilo, I was planning with one of my counterparts and mentioned it was my birthday so he and another teacher were joking that they were gonna go find some eggs. See, in Nicaragua the tradition is to egg the birthday person and then throw flour on them! I told them to forget I said anything and thankfully they didn’t follow through on that one :)

And to top it all off, my NGO English class had cake waiting for me at class on Wednesday. They sang the Nicaraguan birthday song Las Mañanitas which is much longer and more awkward to sit through than the Happy Birthday song, but also much prettier.

Overall, another successful Nica birthday. And thanks for all the birthday messages and phone calls!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Yum Yum! Glad you enjoyed your cheesecake :) I'll send you another one! xoxo