Thursday, December 10, 2009

Papito y Mamacita visitan a Nicaragua

Despite the obvious attempts of that big snowstorm to make my parents turn right around and return to Managua, they did in fact make it safely home. Overall, everything went really well – they enjoyed their foray into international travel, I didn’t have an anxiety attack, and no one got hurt. Now that’s what I call a successful vacation! I realized that I can’t think of a time in my conscious memory during which I spent every waking hour of an entire week with both my parents so I think it at least partially made up for my long absences over past few years. But what am I going on and on about? Pictures!

Mom and dad helped some of my friends/colleagues practice their English:


But work didn’t last long before we went to the schwankiest resort in Nicaragua, Barcelo Montelimar:



Mom loved the ocean:


Dad wore a fancy hat:


We swam in the biggest pool in Central America:


And watched the sunset over the ocean (I believe that was a first for them both):


Next we went to Granada where I ate tasty food to my heart’s content and we tried to negotiate their love of coolness with my now ridiculous sensitivity to cold as we programmed the AC. Mom and I went shopping in Masaya, we walked around town a lot, saw the lake, and a little bit of the Purisima (the celebration of the conception of the Virgin Mary). But the definite highlight was Volcan Mombacho, which now every member of my immediate family has seen since I first ventured there with my brother back in May.

A crazy guy who claimed to be Daniel Ortega’s brother kept hitting on me, which evoked the complete opposite reaction in my dad than I expected (he thought it was hilarious!) but at least the guy can take a decent picture:


Mom and dad on the trail:


This is the truck that drives up and down the volcano while you hold on for dear life:


We were pretty active in the morning and evening but we mostly chilled around the hotel in the heat of the afternoon - either in the pool or reading (my mom took one of me so I just had to return the favor):


I'll upload more of my photos on Facebook and link it here, but my computer is being finnicky so that will have to happen later.

2 comments:

mwlviatge said...

This is one of my favorite entries yet!

Laura said...

Amazing! I'm so glad you guys had a good visit! It looks like y'all really enjoyed yourselves :) Yay!!! P.S. Now I really want to visit again - aaaa:)