Thursday, July 24, 2008

Nicaraguan Cultural Adjustment #52: What did you expect??

It can be risky to have expectations for much of anything around these parts. This weekend I was planning to walk around town and take photos and spend time with the host fam and get some good pictures of them too. Well, I got a bacterial infection and spent almost all of Saturday in bed and Sunday I was still loopy. Ergo, no photos, no quality time.



Cut to Tuesday night, it's my last night with the host family, still planning on getting those photos and hopefully some quality time. Just as I finished my packing, the lights went out. I did get some good quality time sitting in the dark chatting, but there were no photos to be had.



Planning on taking the last bus home? The driver might not feel like driving that day, or someone told you the wrong time and that bus doesn't exist. Planning on working with your youth group? Oh wait! There's a concert/event/marching band that everyone is going to and no one will show up.



Some days I love the disorganization and craziness, like that I can just stand on the highway and wave down a bus at (almost) any time of day. And it never ceases to amaze me the condition the taxis were in in El Rosario (door panel? who needs a door panel? or a window for that matter?). And sometimes it's really frustrating. But, I have two years from tomorrow to get used to it all. My life as a Peace Corps Trainee is just about over, in the morning we will all swear in as Peace Corps Volunteers and on Sunday I will officially move to my site to begin my work.



Scary, exciting, overwhelming, amazing.... are all words to describe how I feel about this. I'm ready to be done with training, that's for sure. Do I feel fully prepared for this assignment? Nope! But that's life.

No comments: