Sunday, July 13, 2008

Just Call me Shel Wichmannstein

Less than two weeks of training left!! I knew the time would fly. It's kind of the same old same old, so here are a couple poems I wrote and some pictures. One of my personal goals for my Peace Corps time is to get back into writing so I hope I have a good batch of poetry and prose under my arm when I come back in 2 years (not saying it's gonna be good!). My attempts at serious poetry sound cheesy, so here are two of the goofy ones I actually like:

Nicaraguan Morning
Fireworks early in the morning at five
In my half-awake state that just doesn't jive.
Marching bands and excitement of an afternoon parade
and yet the night's moon is just starting to fade.

Enter now roosters with a cockle-doodle-do
and we always thought the the sun was their cue.
Reggaeton, Bon Jovi, the bass beats next door,
I shut my eyes tighter and wonder “What more?”

Morning isn't morning unless the baby is crying
then her sister starts up, you'd think she was dying.
The pigs, turkey, chickens, and cow at the neighbors
Along with the family begin their day's labors.

By the time my alarm cries in my ear
I feel as though I've been awake for a year.
Dragging myself slowly but surely from bed
I figure “What the hell, I can sleep when I'm dead.”

Ode to a Washer/Dryer
O Kenmore, GE, and off brands too
I never realized how much I love you!
You wash my clothes so quick and so clean
and even get out stains that are mean.
Now that I wash all my clothes in a sink
it has given me this special occasion to think
all about your spin cycle and ability to rinse
I would take you any day over a Nicaraguan prince.
We could live together so happy, so long
but only if you bring your friend dryer along.
You see, my dear washer, it's mighty humid here
so your clean clothes just won't dry till it's clear.
What good is a clean pair of jeans in the fold
if they stay wet and eventually mold?
So I need you both, my washer and dryer,
in order to keep my Peace Corps spirits higher.


And some photos from my site visit:

Here's my future workplace:


And a classroom:


The Parque Central:

And the beach! Come visit and we'll go here!:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great poems. They rival the ones you did in high school. Hey, send me some of your serious poems and prose. It'll be like the old days.