Thursday, October 22, 2009

El niño is Spanish for…. The niño!!!!

At this time last year I was pulling my hair out waiting out days upon days of nearly non-stop rain. Generally, September and October are the rainiest months of the year as hurricanes and tropical storms mostly swing through the Caribbean which causes a bunch of rain on the Pacific coast. However, Rainy Season 2009 has turned out to be quite the dud & the fact that it’s been raining every night since Sunday is a miracle & much-welcomed by all. The el niño effect is apparently responsible for our sequia (drought) – something about the ocean heating up and preventing clouds from forming. Algo asi (something like that).

At first I really had no problem with the lack of rain, it meant I could still make it out to my country school on a hilly dirt road that becomes nearly impassable when it rains a lot and just getting around town wasn’t such a pain. But after a while everyone started getting a little worried (my counterpart even told the kids to pray for rain, & yes that’s legal here for him to say that) because obviously no rain = fewer crops = higher food prices + economic crisis + no more aid money = Nicaraguans are hungrier & poorer. It’s pretty late in the season for the rain so I’m not sure if it’ll make a huge difference but I’m hoping so. It also means that I get to remember what it feels like to be cold & even sleep without a fan!

I don’t have any super exciting stories this week, yesterday I did go represent the department of Managua at the Site Fair for our soon to be TEFL volunteers. Wednesday they will find out where they’ll be living for the next two years & I’ll find out who will be my new neighbor (only 10km away!) for the next 9ish months (can you believe it!?).

No comments: