Friday, June 19, 2009

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm writing this from the comfort of my parent's unbelievably comfortable recliner couch while hooked up to wireless internet (though that was a bit of a challenge) and listening to the sounds of my mom making bars (a midwestern delicacy of epic proportions). I am home.

My mind is still in a half-dream state about being here, but my stomach sure isn't. So far I've been fed amazingly wonderful food: hamburgers, steak, yummy sandwiches, grapes, pizza hut pizza, and cheese curds!! There will be a picture of the cheese curds later when I find someone to lend me their camera cable because I intelligently left mine in Nicaragua. Even though they cost $6 (that's about 120 cordobas which will buy you a small but very nice fish at the beach), the cheese curds were totally worth it.

In my small hometown I happened to come home during the Dam Festival (hence the cheese curds), celebrating the dam in town (toted as "the best dam festival in Minnesota") which reminded me again of the incredible diversity of rural Minnesotans. Granted they were all white, but you got your rural gangster types, farmers, bikers, townies who think they have money, townies who definitely don't have money, and about half of my high school class. Ok, there weren't that many of my former classmates there, but enough that I was doing double takes every couple of minutes trying to remember names and faces.

Today we're heading down for family reunion fun with my dad's family and I'm quite excited for the potluck lunch on Sunday. It should be good times with a large group of very chatty folks.

2 comments:

mwlviatge said...

Bars! Cheese curds! Hostia tia, que bueno! Cuidate del estomago. Que te diviertas muchismo en los EEUU! Besitos wapa!

Unknown said...

Welcome home! I can appreciate.