Thursday, May 28, 2009

Round Two

My second visitor of the month is in Nicaragua right now, although my brother was the first to actually come visit me, my DC housemate Laura was the first person to buy tickets to come visit which we agree is equally special. She flew in Saturday and in her short time here so far we’ve enjoyed kayaking on the Lake of Nicaragua in Granada, judging an English song competition in Diriamba, and all the fun you can handle right here in my site. Despite the rains starting up again this week, not having water, and having the power go out she’s been a real trooper! In addition to Laura, my high school friend Roseanne and her husband Nic are enjoying an anniversary trip to Nicaragua this week so I’ve gotten to spend some time with them too.

Here’s Laura and me all ready to get our kayak on:


Our kayaking buddies, volunteer Liz and her friend Martha:


The Isletas, tiny islands left over from the last time Volcan Mombacho erupted:


Volunteer Sonia and Laura considering all the facts in judging the performers in the song competition:


Rosie & Nic, also at the song competition:



This kid sang Nirvana and got second place:


This girl won, but I can’t remember what song she sang:


Also, my foot is healing nicely. It was all swelled up for a while but it’s pretty much back to its normal size, the pain has gone down a lot, and I took out the one stitch so I’m feelin pretty good! But I’m still trying not to strain it too bad, hence the kayaking this weekend instead of hiking the volcano again.

No comments: