Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Si Dios Quiere Parte II

As much as I hate hearing people use the phrase "si dios quiere" (if god wants it) because it tends to imply a sort of hands-off, the lord will provide so I'm not gonna do anything kind of attitude, sometimes I think it can be right on. I have always felt that I had to work sooooo hard for stuff that for some people just seemed to fall into place. Now I can count two times that things have just fallen into place for me, or rather, stopped me on the street and changed the course of my life here.

The first time happened waaaaaay back in October when I had just started me search for housing. I had very few prospects despite having asked everyone I knew if they knew of a house for rent. Then one day a German volunteer I knew was stopped on the street by a woman asking if she was looking for a place to rent. Luckily my friend wasn't but knew I was so she brought me the woman's number. I have a tendency to put things off but for some reason I called up this lady right away that night and went to see the house the next day and it was perfect. That is how I found my house that even Peace Corps said was perfect. That is also how I became friends with my landlord and her cousin who I visit at least every other day for a chat or a meal. I was chatting with Linda, the cousin, one day about how lucky I was to find the house and she told me that god wanted it. I said yeah, I think you're right.

My second story happened only a couple weeks ago. I had been wanting to send an email to Peace Corps staff about a problem I'd had in my site but first the wireless on my computer went out and then the internet in the school wasn't working. I was starting to think I wasn't meant to ever send this email but I made one last attempt and walked up to the neighborhood cyber. On my way a young woman came running up to me and asked if I was the one who gives English classes at the high school (this is how a lot of people know me, not by name or organization but just that I give English classes at the instituto). She explained to me that she'd be going to Canada in June to work and wanted to learn English. I had recently decided that I needed more girlfriends so I said I'd do what I could.

I knew some other folks who had been asking for classes since January so I invited the people I knew and told this girl, Anielka, to bring a couple friends if she wanted. On Sunday night I scheduled an introductory meeting to talk to everyone about the class- Anielka showed up with seven friends and no one else I had invited came. We had our first official class last night and it went really well, it's a good group of people and I feel so lucky that it all just kinda fell into my lap.

And the counterpart I've continued to have problems with actually showed up at my house to plan for class! Granted she showed up about 4 hours late and in the middle of my class last night, but I still call that progress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MONKEYS WIN